- This event has passed.
Peoples Institute Undoing Racism Training
August 9 @ 9:00 am - August 10 @ 5:00 pm
Hello all,The Peoples Institute for Survival and Beyond https://www.pisab.org is offering a two day Undoing Racism workshop at WESPAC on Friday, August 9th and Saturday, August 10th from 9am to 5pm each day. There are a couple of slots open at this point and we can offer financial assistance or scholarships. Please email me if you would like to participate in this training and can commit to the full two days:
Undoing Racism® is PISAB’s signature workshop. Through dialogue, reflection, role-playing, strategic planning and presentations, this intensive process challenges participants to analyze the structures of power and privilege that hinder social equity and prepares them to be effective organizers for justice. The multiracial team of organizers/trainers includes more than 100 men and women whose anti-racist organizing expertise includes years with civil, labor and welfare rights struggles, educational, foster care, social service and health reform movements, as well as youth and grassroots community organizing. An average of 30 groups per month participate in The People’s Institute Undoing Racism®/Community Organizing process.
Workshop participants will:
- Develop a common definition of racism and an understanding of its different forms: individual, institutional, linguistic, and cultural;
- Develop a common language and analysis for examining racism in the United States;
- Understand one’s own connection to institutional racism and its impact on his/her work;
- Understand why people are poor and the role of institutions in exacerbating institutional racism, particularly for people and communities of color;
- Understand the historical context for how racial classifications in the United States came to be and how and why they are maintained;
- Understand the historical context for how U.S. institutions came to be and who they have been designed to serve;
- Understand how all of us, including white people, are adversely impacted by racism every day, everywhere;
- Address surface assumptions about how your work is (or is not) affected by racism;
- Develop awareness and understanding about ways to begin Undoing Racism®
- Gain knowledge about how to be more effective in the work you do with your constituencies, your organizations, your communities, your families;
- Understand the role of community organizing and building effective multiracial coalitions as a means for Undoing Racism®.