We invite you to join us on the 15-16 April 2023 from 9:00 AM––3:00 PM on the Second Floor of the Church Center of the United Nations (CCUN) located at 777 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017. We look forward to welcoming each of you in person.
As we prepare for the upcoming Twenty-Second Session of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII). The UNPFII will take place on the 17-28 April 2023; theme: “Indigenous Peoples, human health, planetary and territorial health, and climate change: a rights-based approach.” This UNPFII takes place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
We ask that in preparation for the Global Indigenous People’s Caucus that you do the following:
- Review the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
English | Español | Français | Русский | عربي | 汉语 (Official Resolution Text)
- Read the UNPFII: Provisional Agenda
- Provisional Agenda for the twenty-second session (E/C.19/2023/1)
- Election of officers.
- Adoption of the agenda and organization of work.
- Discussion on the theme “Indigenous Peoples, human health, planetary and territorial health and climate change: a rights-based
- Discussion on the six mandated areas of the Permanent Forum (economic and social development, culture, environment, education, health, and human rights), with reference to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Dialogue with Indigenous Peoples;
- Dialogue with Member States;
- Dialogue with the United Nations agencies, funds and programmes;
- Human rights dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples and the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples;
- Regional dialogues;
- Dialogue on Indigenous platforms established within United Nations entities;
- Thematic dialogues.
- Future work of the Permanent Forum, including issues considered by the Economic and Social Council, the outcome document of the World Conference on Indigenous Peoples, and emerging issues.
- Provisional agenda of the twenty-third session of the Permanent Forum.
- Adoption of the report of the Permanent Forum on its twenty-second session.
- Review the 2022 statement.
Breakfast and lunch will be provided; no registration is necessary; as always, all Indigenous Peoples. As more logistical information becomes available, it will be shared here and on the GIPC listserv. If you have questions, please email [email protected]
Special thanks to
- Flying Eagle Woman Fund
- United Methodist Women
- DOCIP for interpretation
- Brandon Lazore for the artwork
Thank you to our sponsors
- American Indian Law Alliance
- American Indian Community House
- Black Women’s Blueprint
- Honor the Earth
- Indigenous Values Initiative
- Matilda Joslyn Gage Foundation
- NY Renews
- Sacred Places Institute for Indigenous Peoples (SPI)