FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Nada Khader, WESPAC Director
Westchester & Rockland Residents Hold Press Conference to Speak out Against Local Elected Officials who Supported Attack on Gaza Civilians
Community groups to present petition signed by hundreds in support of Palestinian human rights.
[White Plains, NY] On Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 6:00pm, residents will present a petition of over 500 signatures to twenty-six local public elected officials who supported the recent Israeli attacks on Gaza in ‘Operation Protective Edge’ which left over 2,000 Palestinians dead, the majority of whom were civilians, including over 500 children. Community leaders will express speak out against the billions of U.S. tax dollars that annually support Israel’s occupation and siege of Gaza.
WHAT: Press conference; Expert speakers to present our petition with over 500 signatures.
WHEN: Thursday, September 4, at 6:00 p.m.
WHO: Concerned Families of Westchester, Jewish Voice for Peace-Westchester, & WESPAC.
WHERE: City Hall in White Plains, 255 Main St. White Plains, NY 10601
(next to Walmart and across from City Center, where there is ample parking)
VISUALS: Colorful signs; Diverse group of Westchester/Rockland residents & community leaders.
INTERVIEWS: All speakers will be available for interviews after the press conference. Speakers include:
- Dr. Naseer Alomari: Principal of the Andalusia School located in Yonkers, NY and member of the Muslim American Society-Upper New York.
- Felice Gelman: Retired investment professional and a member of the WESPAC Middle East Committee and has traveled extensively in the Middle East.
- Howard Horowitz: Lives and works in New Rochelle and is an active member of the Jewish community there. He is a member of WESPAC and Jewish Voice for Peace.
- Khader Humied: Born and raised in Nablus, Palestine (Northern West Bank); currently lives in Nyack, NY. He is an artist, architect, designer, and teacher, including with Curious-on-Hudson in Dobbs Ferry, NY.
- Julie Weiner: Licensed mental health counselor, Democratic Party district leader, member of a Reconstructionist Jewish congregation, speaking on behalf of Jewish Voice for Peace-Westchester and Concerned Families of Westchester.