August 2010-October 2011
EASTERN CONFERENCE FOR
The Eastern Conference for Worklpace Democracy (ECWD; east.usworker. coop) is a nonprofit conference planning group operating under he fiscal sponsorship of the Ecological Democracy Institute of North America, an oranization with recognition of tax exemption under section 501(c)(3) of the . ECWD constitutes the eastern region of the U.S. Federation of Worker Co-ops (www.usworker. coop).
We are seeking an individual, team of two, or group of three people to plan, organize, and implement the 2011 regional conference on conference planning committee), and focused sub-committees of the ECC. Through past conferences we have developed many of the necessary materials for fundraising and organizing; all materials will be available to the 2011 Lead Organizer(s) . The conference is an exceptional learning and networking event.
- Attending conference calls with the Eastern Coordinating Council (the conference planning committee) on the first Wednesday of every month
- Finances and fundraising: budgeting, sponsor/donor appeal materials, sponsor outreach, grant applications, handling individual donors, scholarship allocation, post-conference closeout
- Site: location research, contract negotiation, presentation and exercise rooms, food, lodging, logistics at the conference
- Marketing: reminder postcard/email, brochure, emails, database, content for website, updates to website, Pay pal
- Program planning: keynote topic and presenters, plenary topic and presenters, workshop topics and presenters, tour, exercise, entertainment, participant notebooks, coordinating the live and silent auctions
- Registration: communication with individuals, intake of all registrations including presenters, management of registration database[s], management of all income and payments, management of lodging assignments, logistics at the conference, financial follow-up after the conference
- On-site conference management to ensure smooth operation
- Conference close-out such as evaluations, reports, financial accounting.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Good interpersonal, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and well-organized work habits; able to meet deadlines and work within budgets
- Being self-motivated as well as working with a team/board of directors
- Familiarity with event planning and execution
- Experience working with diverse populations in cooperative / collective groups, nonprofits, and/or labor organizations
Preferred but not required:
Ability to speak and write Spanish
Bachelor’s degree, or additional graduate/profession al training
Interest in renewing contract and planning future ECWD conferences
This job will run from August 2010 through October 2011. Work commitments each week will vary, but time needed to perform responsibilities will intensify considerably in June and July 2011. During the weeks before and during the conference the candidate(s) will need to be available almost exclusively for work on the project. Required attendance: five days at the conference Wednesday – Sunday in late July and possibly into early August (dates to be set) to assist before, during, and immediately after the conference.
$13,000 to $14,000 plus approved conference costs (registration, food, lodging, travel) and other approved expenses (to be negotiated).
The opportunity to work directly with myriad worker co-ops, ESOP, labor folks, scholars, community development activists and technical assistance providers.
In the spirit of democratic management, the ECC would be open to a team distributing the money amongst themselves as they deem appropriate.
Submit cover letter, resumé, and three references to: [email protected] coop. Those interested in working as a pair or team of three should submit their resumes and references in a single email; only one cover letter is necessary per group. In your letter, please address the issue of your time availability as described above.
Deadline: June 27th, 2010, 6 pm Eastern
The ECWD actively recruits candidates who reflect the diversity of the communities of members of democratic workplaces. The ECWD does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, political belief, marital status, veteran status, age, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Operations & Development Coordinator
Workers for Cooperation (TCWC)
[email protected] ers.coop